Friday, July 6, 2012

Picky Eating or Healthy Eating?

  The title read "The Picky Eater Who Came to Dinner."  It ran in the New York Times this past Sunday.  In the article, the author subtly infers that those of us who choose to eat only healthy foods, that our bodies respond well to, are now "picky eaters."  I guess maintaining a healthy weight, normal blood pressure, diabetes prevention and just feeling more clear headed and energetic are no longer considered good enough reasons to stick with a healthy diet.  It's as if forgoing sugar, corn derivatives,  flour, gluten or dairy is considered downright un-American.  In the article, chef Josh Ozersky says, "Like a lot of chefs, I'm convinced that these diets are not always the result  the compromised immune systems of American diners, but their growing infantilism and narcissism."  Who's narcissitic here, the client or the chef?  What kind of chef is so full of his/her self that they think their food choices transcend someone's need to be healthy?

 I once had a boyfriend who said one of the reasons he broke up with me was because I was a vegetarian and he wasn't.  When I asked if he felt I imposed my food choices on him, he said "no, but I feel guilty eating what I eat when I'm around you." Perhaps criticizing those who take charge of their food choices is a way for others who are living with the impact of their food choices (the majority of Americans are  now considered overweight or obese) to feel better about those choices. God help the American health care system.

As a foodie, I totally agree with the article that sharing food is a social event.  But there is absolutely no reason why sharing can't occur around healthy foods with enough variety to accommodate different tastes.  My friend Julie, cook and hostess, extraordinaire, has long hosted dinner parties for a wide variety of guests using her mostly vegan diet as a basis for some of the best meals I've eaten.  I've never seen guests leave food on their plate at her very popular dinners or complain that there was nothing for them to eat.

I've begun to inquire in advance about both food preferences and requirements.  After all, I want my guests to feel relaxed and welcome.  Why would I want to serve a meal they did not like or could not eat?  There are too many fabulous food choices out there to be locked into a limited repertoire.  But my goal is to allow each guest to compose a full meal, not to be able to eat every dish that's offered.  When I go to someone's house to eat,  I will always share the fact that I don't eat meat.  I find that much less offensive than surprising them after they've spent the day shopping and preparing a special dish that I will not eat.  Often by leaving just one ingredient out of a small amount of the recipe, it can easily accommodate.  But one would need to know this in advance.  On this more restricted diet, I will explain that I'm limited right now in what I can eat and offer to bring something that I can eat and all can share.  I usually find that everyone dives into my dish and I have to be sure I
can grab a serving for myself.

As for restaurants, often the worst offenders for not only unhealthy ingredients but the size of portions, they are in business because of the people who patronize them.  I make no apologies for my requests. Those who can accommodate will get my business again.  Those who can't won't.  There is no reason why a restaurant can't offer at least one option that includes tasty vegetables, grilled chicken or fish, salads and dressings made with only olive oil, herbs and vinegar and fruit for dessert.

Just like our attitudes about smoking has changed, we need to initiate a similar change to attitudes about food.  We know that certain food is at the root of many of our health issues. (Just like we knew about smoking in the 1960's.)  But until those of us who care start speaking up, things have no reason to change.  I'm optimistic.  Smoking is now banned in public places and it is no longer considered gauche to ask someone to step outside of your home to smoke.  Likewise, huge strides have been made in the availability of gluten-free foods.  If we start demanding it, we will also start to see an increase in the availabity of all anti-imflammatory foods--non-dairy, non-sweetened, gluten-free foods more focused on vegetables and fruits.  Charlie Trotter's, a fabulous Chicago restaurant, has been offering a multi-course vegetarian feast for decades.  And they will gladly insure your meal is free of dairy or sweeteners.  It's time more restaurants followed suit.  And not just the high end ones.  So fellow "picky eaters", let's keep speaking up!





No comments:

Post a Comment