Monday, July 23, 2012

Check in on results

I guess my melt down on Saturday about the state of new refrigerators and their lack of produce space should have been a clue about how important eating this way has become.  I feel so much better than before.  After a couple week plateau, I've dropped another pound.  I had used the Weight Watchers points system successfully for years when I needed to drop some weight but it took some will power since I was usually really hungry the first week or so.  But as I got into my fifties, it just didn't seem to work.  I tried cutting back on my points but that just left me hungry and frustrated.  My husband decided I must have a very high metabolism (I don't) because of the amount of food I eat right now and the fact that he can clearly see I'm losing weight.

Sketchier results on the ankle front.  I've been off the anti-inflammatory drugs now for about 10 days straight.  I'd love to say my ankle is fine but to be honest, it's still messed up.  Not like I'm in excruciating pain but I'm not doing much walking either.  I have been spending some time out of the brace.  And at least around the house wearing my Orthoheel flip flops (which are fabulous by the way).  But after three 10 minute sessions on the elliptical machine, 2 of the 3 times I was sore later in the day.  Not a great sign, I think, for getting back to my 5 miles hilly walks.  I have no idea about why the session in the middle didn't seem to affect it.  This issue continues to be the great mystery.  I suppose that since most of the time my ankle feels no discernible pain, with no meds, should be a good sign.  But I think my impatient nature wants to know NOW that this issue is resolving.  With the end of the year fast approaching, if I'm going to opt for surgery, I'd like to schedule it for the end of the year (me and everyone else) which will require making a decision by the end of September at least.  So I don't have much time.

By the way, after I calmed down, cleaned my refrigerator and then revisited the appliance stores, the situation is not quite as bad as I thought.  Still not quite what I'd like, but workable. They somehow neglected to mention (even when I asked) that the big space hogging ice/water dispenser in the door was not required.  Whew!  I now have a new refrigerator picked out.

Many folks have requested the recipe I use for the tahini dressing on the chopped kale salad.  I'll be sure to post that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment