Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It shouldn't have to be this hard


The last few days have been busy ones.  I’ve missed a couple of snacks because I was away from home.  It’s easy to pack nuts for protein.  An apple or pear is a little more cumbersome to carry but vegetables—they’re a much bigger challenge.  I’m not really big on raw carrots.  Actually, my favorite snack (right up there with kale chips) is a finely chopped mix of different varieties of kale with a tahini dressing on it.  It’s also my favorite lunch right now.  In fact, I could eat this stuff everyday it’s so good.  Luckily, I can buy the kale already mixed and finely shredded at my local PCC Store.  And I’ve finally caught on that the dressing will keep in the frig for a number of days.  Next time, I’ll make a double batch of dressing and can use it throughout the week.  

 So, back to my original issue, why are there no places to go to pick up a dish of something like this kale salad?  Even the pre-made salads at  my beloved PCC seem to have things like canola oil or sweeteners.  At least they can tell you exactly what’s in them.  But I’m curious why nobody has thought to add “clean” food and snacks that you can walk in (or drive thru) and pick up as easily as a hamburger.  Not a bland salad with poor quality vinegar and questionable oil but something truly tasty and satisfying like the kale salad.  Is there really no market out there?  Maybe it seems so because the anti-inflammatory food that’s out there in many restaurants is so generic and bland—unless you get into a more upscale restaurant.
 
Or maybe it’s because fresh organic produce, at least around my neck of the woods, is expensive.  I haven’t added it up, but the little cash register in my head is telling me I’m spending significantly more on food since I’ve been on this diet.  It’s worth it to me but I can’t help but wonder about people on a tight budget.  Which brings me to one of my pet peeves.  U.S. Government farm subsidies go almost exclusively to the large, corporate food producers.  This was not their original intent—they were intended to help independent farmers.  And yet, I’ve not heard of one small organic vegetable grower who gets a penny.  What’s wrong with this picture?  With so much of our tax dollars supporting corporate growing of patented and often genetically modified corn, wheat and soybeans, no wonder all the stuff on the “no eat” list is so inexpensive.  Hasn’t it occurred to anyone that by making this kind of food so cheap, we’ve made our health care extremely expensive? 

So, what am I finding so far?

I’ve been off my anti-inflammatory meds now for a week.  My foot still hurts some of the time but it’s mild.  Jury still out on whether food can control the inflammation enough to avoid surgery.  I do find though that I’m less achy after working out or working in the garden. 

Several nagging menopausal related symptoms have disappeared.

My nagging little stomach aches and bloated feeling are gone and I’ve been able to stop the expensive pro-biotic pills I was taking.

I’ve held at about 4 lbs. lost.  In fact, earlier in the week, it actually seemed like I gained a couple of those pounds back.  But my stomach looks flatter to me and I feel lighter.

The dark circles under my eyes have lightened up.  This may be my imagination but two months ago they were starting to concern me.  Now, I barely notice them.

I have a much deeper appreciation and empathy for those people who have real food allergies and how because of our food habits, customs and attitudes in this country, it can isolate these folks from being able to enjoy good food outside of their homes.

I am even more sensitive to how our food system and habits make it very time consuming, costly and difficult to eat this way.  If I ever fall off this way of eating, it won’t be because I’m bored or don’t like it, or it doesn't help me feel great, it will be because it is just too difficult to be part of modern society and hold to this way of eating.  And the sad part is, is that it doesn’t have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment