Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Five Day Mark

Have some catching up to do today since I'm officially five days into my experiment ( Actually, I stopped eating wheat and sugar about 10 days ago but it took me a little longer to get through my favorite locally produced yogurt which I refused to throw away. Plus I had some really outstanding Theo's chocolates which I had to finish before they went bad.  Hmm.  I can kind of see a pattern here.)  Anyway, since June 24 I've been "clean" following the recommendations from the Abascal Way religiously.

I've been writing in a journal instead of online so I'll try to summarize here and get better about writing real time.

Well the most measurable result so far has been my weight.  I started out on June 22 at 137.6.  This morning I weighed in at 134.6.  Hmm.  That's kind of hard to believe.  I actually weigh myself on two difference scales and then use the highest one to be conservative.  What's even more amazing is that I haven't been hungry even once all week. No scouring the kitchen frantically looking for something comforting to eat.  No standing at the pastry cabinet at PCC longing for "just one little goodie" to go with my coffee.  In fact, I could probably skip the snacks that are a mandatory part of the first three weeks.  My stomach looks flatter although that just could be my imagination.  I haven't actually taken out the tape measure although I probably should do that.

Up until 6/24 I had been taking 100mg.of diclofenic sodium (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, NSAID) to keep the pain in my ankle at bay.  It was pretty darn effective ( when I went off for 2 weeks in May due to some surgery, my ankle started really bothering me)  but because these medications are very hard on one's stomach and can cause ulcers, there is a limit as to how long you can stay on them.  My doctor told me I had one more month. Because it's been so powerful at relieving pain I wanted to see first hand how much my diet could replace the effects of the drug.  The first few days, I took it pretty easy although did notice some pain in my ankle especially during the night and at the pool when I didn't have my heavy duty shoes and orthotics on.  Last night I did a little weeding in the hillside garden, a task that really can do a number on my ankle.  I was very careful although still had to deal with some rotation of my ankle to brace myself.  My husband was concerned and warned me about the consequences of my actions.  But both last night after getting ready for bed and this morning getting up and dressed with only slippers on my feet, my ankle felt fine.  I admit, this is way too soon to tell, but it's a good sign at least.

On another front, I stopped taking my pro-biotic pills 6/24.  Again to see what the diet would do without being masked by the pills.  I'd been having a lot of stomach issues over the last year feeling bloated a lot with a mild stomach ache almost all the time.  The pro-biotic helped a lot although occasionally left me with a slightly queasy stomach. I also had gall bladder surgery in May.  It fixed the bouts of truly breathtaking pain but it didn't do much for the daily nagging issues.  I should also mention that I'm some what lactose intolerant.  I love ice cream but it's like Russian Roulette for me.  Lactose pills usually help but not always.  But over the last three years, I have been indulging in some Ben and Jerry's an the occasional trip to Molly Moon's.  I don't drink a lot of milk but did use half and half in my decaf coffee.  Yogurt and cheese didn't seem to bother me so I ate those pretty freely.  After five days, with NO pro-biotic pills, I can honestly say my stomach hasn't felt this good in a long time.  That bloated, uncomfortable feeling is gone.  So, is it just in my head?  Guess I need more time to find out.  I'll post a little about the diet and what I've been eating in my next blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment